Divine Disruption – Pt. 3 – Joy
Dave Riddle – 12/17/2017
Key Passages: Luke 2:10-11, John 15:11, John 16:20-22, Philippians 4:4, Galatians 5:22-23, Nehemiah 8:10
Good News of Great Joy
- Luke 2:10
It is different than happiness
- chairó (Greek: χαίρω) – rejoice, be glad.
- Joy is more than happiness.
- It’s a state of one’s soul.
- It isn’t dependent on our circumstances.
It is a command
- Philippians 4:4
- An imperative.
It’s a commitment
- Colossians 3:2
- phroneō (Greek: φρονέω) – to direct one’s mind to a thing, to seek, to strive for.
- “Choose joy!”
It becomes an orientation
- Galatians 5:22
- As we learn to obey the command to be joyful, the fruit of the Spirit is produced in us.
Realize a more joyful life by remembering…
…how you’re loved
- John 3:16
- Jeremiah 31:3
- I have loved you with an everlasting love.
…who you are
- You are a child of God!
- 1 Peter 2:9-10
…what you have
- 1 Peter 1:3-6
- Not just the temporary things, but the eternal ones.
…where you’re heading
- unlike anything we’ve experienced in this life.
- Where we’re headed – there He is, because we are His!
- John 15:11, 16:20-22
Joy is a permanent abiding fixture in the heart and soul of a follower of Jesus.
The joy of the Lord is our strength.